Advertisement

How to get cat to drink more water???!!!

topic posted Tue, May 8, 2007 - 7:57 PM by  Rebecca
Share/Save/Bookmark
I bought a Catit drinking fountain www.amazon.com/Hagen-Cati.../B000688XLY , and I love it (it looks cool and sounds relaxing) but my cat doesn't. I'm not sure my cat drinks ANYTHING. I only feed her wet (Innova Evo) and lately I've been adding a few tablespoons of water to that (2x/day) to force her to get more h20. I know the wet food is something like 80% moisture but even so, I really want to get her to drink, since she had a UTI a month ago (her first, and I've had her 10 months now).

I've only had the fountain a few days so maybe she will try it later but I doubt it--she doesn't seem scared of it, just not interested. When I had just a plain 'ol bowl she wasn't drinking from that either.

Any suggestions?
posted by:
Rebecca
Raleigh
Advertisement
  • Unsu...

try giving her chicken broth. most cats can't resist it, and all that salt ought to make her thirsty. works like a charm on my crotchety old boy.

of course, if it doesn't pan out quickly don't continue it.
  • Try the chicken broth. Just make sure that no onions were used to make it, since they can cause even more problems. If you are only feeding her wet with added water that may be enough water for her. Cats are desert animals and are built to get all of their water from their food. I wouldn't be too concerned at this point. Just keep adding water/chicken broth to here food. It should be fine.
    • Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not sure I want to try the broth just yet, as sodium could ultimately make her dehydrated, right? (unless she is drinking water to compensate). I added even more water than normal yesterday and today to the wet food, so that the mixture was pretty soupy, but my cat slurped it all up so I guess that may just be the way to go. I really want to avoid another UTI if I can help it.

And of course I will keep the Catit out so that if my cat wants fresh water, it is always available, but yeah, I have yet to see her drink from it!
      • Unsu...

the Innova Evo's got a lot of protein, which will help keep her urine acidic, and she is getting a lot of moisture both from the food and the spoonfuls of water you add to it. I wouldn't fret too much.
        One thought about the fountain, though: I looked at the picture and can't tell where the water comes out. The fountain Kaya likes has a sort of spout at the top where the water comes out and flows down into the bowl. So it has an obvious stream. She loves her stream and always drinks from the top rather than out of the bowl. Maybe, if you REALLY want to SEE your cat drink (which I can understand), get a streamier fountain???

funny, these guys are both drinking out of the bowl, but here's the one I'm talking about:
        www.amazon.com/Petmate-Fr.../B000084F2Q
  • Re: How to get cat to drink more water???!!!

Fri, May 11, 2007 - 5:54 PM
    In the wild, cats only eat raw/natural diet and they rarely drink water. My cats are on a raw meat diet and if they do drink water, there is something wrong with them. I have been a vet tech for 18 years now and have studied homeopathy extensively. I have changed many meow's over to raw diets and watched them do VERY well. Thanks Patricia Cooper D.V.M. for the education! This vet started out as a conventional medical Doc 30 years ago and went over to ONLY natural Meds and diets 15 years ago. Innova is a very good diet but you can improve what you are feeding. Some Meow's are very sensive to diet changes and resist but just keep trying. Jabs/vaccines are not the way to go either, as they only make things worse by destroying the immune system. Large cats have issues but not like domestic cats with the bag or canned diets. The commercial diets have only been on the market for 60 years or less and have made health issues MUCH worse in our pets. NCH (National Center for Homeopathy) can help with books and info as well as Richard Pitcairn. Check out both web sites as they have loads of info. Maybe your cats don't drink much H2O and the addition of H2O to the food has slowed their intake?
    • Unsu...

Re: How to get cat to drink more water???!!!

Mon, May 28, 2007 - 5:35 PM
      I want to weigh in here with what Sha' is saying. You should make your cat drink water: your cat should get moisture from the food it eats. I have had my cats on a raw diet for almost 9 years, and they are in wonderful health, including the 15 year olds.

Catnutrition.org is a great resource for raw feeding, as are:

www.blakkatz.com/natural.html - This website has awesome information on everything concerning natural cat care, and is run by the author of one of my absolute favorite books on cat care, Raising Cats Naturally, Michelle Bernard. I highly recommend her book -- for more on that, see www.raisingcatsnaturally.com

www.felinefuture.com - This magnificent company sells a terrific product that can be used to prepare a raw diet for cats. If you're intrigued about the idea of making homemade food but perhaps a bit overwhelmed at the idea of doing it all yourself from scratch, this is a fabulous resource.

www.felinespride.com -- This company sells a pre-made raw, grain-free, vegetable-free food that's top-notch. If you're persuaded by the idea of feeding a raw diet but can't or won't make it yourself, this company is as good as they come (in my book).

(quoted from Anne at Catnutrition.org)

As she says,

* Stay away from dry food. It's wholly inappropriate for carnivores. While the grain-free dry foods (there are one or two) at least have the grainlessness going for them, they still lack the moisture that a cat needs in her diet. A cat eating dry food, even with supplemental water drinking, only gets about half the total moisture intake as a cat on canned or raw food. The moisture that's in canned food is NOT useless filler.

* Don't take what the mainstream pet food industry says at face value. Demand straight answers. Question everything.

* Be a zealous guardian of your cats' health by staying on top of the latest unbiased research and information that's out there on the nutritional needs of obligate carnivores. If the information is coming from the mainstream pet food industry, think twice before you take it at face value.

* Don't let anyone sell you nutritional products that have no place in a carnivore's diet.

* Be skeptical, always, of claims that any specialty diet for a given problem or malady that is not true to the carnivorous heritage of carnivores can do much more than empty your pocket after offering lots of empty promises that have no substantiation.

Sat, May 12, 2007 - 3:39 PM
    If you are feeding wet food and adding a bit of water to it, your cat is likely getting as much water as she needs. I feed mine wet, and add 2-3 tbs water to it, and man oh man do they go through cat litter, about twice as fast as the labels indicate it should last. I refer to them as the peeingest cats on the planet. I like the smell of Feline Pine, but in the summer I often use World's Best cat Litter, as their clumping power is the best, so I can really see how much is coming out. Many times I have clumps almost as big as a hockey puck, sometimes just about the size of a golf ball. But when they get to be the size of half a golf ball, I know to start watching carefully. One time since I started using the clumping litter, the clumps got down to the size of lima beans, and I knew to call the vet. We made an appointment, and sure enough, he had another UTI.

In addition to adding water to their food, we do change the water in their dish often, but I don't really worry about it much if I do not see them drinking. ,Another thing we do, is for a treat every few days we will give them the juice from meat we have cooked - homemade broth. Of course we don't use salt when we cook, so there is no worry about the sodium content of this broth.

Mon, May 14, 2007 - 3:11 PM
      Thanks for all the feedback. I am more reassured now-- my cat does get probably a good 2-3 tablespoons of water added to the wet, 2x per day, and she always laps it all up. I have also noticed the crystal litter getting dirtier more quickly, but I don't mind that, since I know it is cutting down on the risk of another UTI. I don't have the energy to go raw, but I think the Evo wet + water is a very good compromise, since it takes little effort and is made of human-grade ingredients.

Fri, June 8, 2007 - 7:08 AM
    I have noticed that one of my kitties has taken to going into the tub looking for tribbles of water; even though I have a nice, clean, fresh bowl of water for them. I guess it isn't that big of deal as the box seems to have lots of pee clumps.

But should I be concerned that this particular cat doesn't seem to like her water bowl? Or use it that much anyway?

Thanks!

Fri, June 8, 2007 - 7:19 AM
      A lot of cats are like that. They instinctually look for flowing water, because flowing water in the wild equals fresh water, as opposed to still, stagnant water. The pet fountains work well for cats because of this.

Fri, June 8, 2007 - 1:00 PM
        I might look into getting one of those. I suppose I wouldn't want water that had been sitting down on the floor all day either. :P

Wed, March 25, 2009 - 6:09 PM
          We have three cats and a dog. One of the cats got a UTI, so we got a large fountain (dog sized). At first the cats wouldn't drink out of it, but they kept hanging around to watch the dog drink out of it. After a couple of months the youngest cat approached the fountain and drank some. After that the other cats learned to drink out of the fountain. The point is, it can take some time (;-))

Wed, June 20, 2012 - 3:47 PM
    Cats do not eat and drink at the same time as human does. Cats are actually nocturnal even though they are domesticated. I have some success with my cat when I put a large bowl of water in my bedroom where cat will join me at night. Of course if the bowl is cleaned every day and filtered water without the chlorine taste will be nice for them.

Fri, August 10, 2012 - 10:01 AM
    Hi,

After I place my kittens wet food in their bowl, I add water to the can and then pour that around their food to ensure they are getting enough water in their diet. They are totally used to it now and I’m so glad they are getting their daily water intake.

Last night I was playing with my kittens, Frankie and Charlie, by having them run around chasing the laser pen. Well, Frankie was panting afterwards because I made him run a little too much (never again), so I saved the liquid I used from a can of salmon I used for myself for salmon burgers thankfully. I put it in front of him and he drank a little bit. So I then, took a small container I had of homegrown dried catnip from my NJ garden and sprinkled a little on the salmon water and he drank it ALL. I even swirled the bowl a little bit to make it more interesting for Frankie and I’m so glad he was ok. Live and learn, right?

I grow tons of catnip in my yard, cut it down, hang it upside down to dry and store it in rubbermaid containers throughout the house. This way I always have fresh, organic grown catnip for my boys. You can even sprinkle it on their food if they don’t like the food at first.

Best!

Recent topics in "Feline Nutrition"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
cat w loose stool for years. diet advice needed. new here Karen 56 October 19, 2013
A primer on urinary tract health in cats That Woman Sez 31 January 2, 2013
Raw Food for Cats? Isobel 6 August 10, 2012
why does my cat puke all the time? ra 18 December 15, 2011
Health is Wealth Unsubscribed 0 November 25, 2010